How do I get rid of varicose veins? This is a question we are frequently asked. Based on many years of clinical experience, research of the medical literature and study of expert guidance, we at the VeinCare Centre follow 7 steps to successful transformation of legs with unsightly varicose veins. They are:
- Assessment based on duplex ultrasound scan to diagnose where the superficial venous reflux is and how it spreads to cause the varicose veins
- Endothermal ablation to eradicate and cure the superficial venous reflux
- Sclerotherapy of side branches and tributaries feeding into the varicose veins
- Micro-extraction (also called Phlebectomy) of the lumpy visible varicose veins
- Micro-injection of any associated spider veins (also called Microsclerotherapy)
- Careful check-up examinations with duplex ultrasound
- Early additional treatments if required
This programme (or clinical pathway) is followed by all our specialists to ensure that our patients get the best results. At our clinic, step 1 is included at the initial consultation where our specialist takes a medical history, examines the patient and performs a duplex scan as a “ONE-STOP” assessment. Steps 2, 3 and 4 are performed together at the treatment session under local anaesthetic as a walk in walk out procedure. Step 5 is usually then performed 2-3 months later. We aim to complete steps 6 and 7 within 6 months of the treatment session.
At the VeinCare centre we have a consistent approach to treating varicose veins that is documented in our clinical pathway and which is subjected to continuous quality evaluation and improvement. In this way, we can achieve excellent results both in terms of abolishing venous reflux and conferring considerable health benefits (such as reducing the risks of complications like phlebitis, varicose eczema and leg ulcers) and also in terms of obtaining a considerable improvement in appearance.
Successful treatment of varicose veins is judged by the follow up duplex ultrasound scan. The aim of treatment is to abolish all reflux and this is an important quality standard. However, we are mindful that our patients also want their legs to look good afterwards. The appearance of the legs after treatment is an important aspect of patient satisfaction. Patient satisfaction surveys, both performed by the clinic and those conducted by independent third parties, testify that we are doing well here as a result of our systematic 7 step approach.