In many cases the results are excellent and dramatic. Modern treatments are performed under local anaesthetic on a walk-in, walk out basis without surgery.
Of course, results cannot be guarateed and individuals heal differently. Some people heal very quickly, some people have a lot of bruising and some hardly any. However, in general, most people can expect a considerable improvement.
The healing process may take 6-8 weeks before you see results like those shown below.
What Treatments are Available?
What Will My Leg Feel Like After Vein Treatment?
When you take off the bandages, please do not be alarmed if there is a lot of bruising (some people bruise a lot, some hardly at all). Bruising will settle quickly over the next few days. In addition, some areas may be a little lumpy and tender. This is all part of the healing process and lumpy areas will gradually disperse over the next few weeks.
Sometimes, the skin overlying the veins that have been treated by laser becomes very sensitive and a little red a few days after the treatment. If this happens, you may be surprised because you didn’t experience this straightaway. Once again, this is all part of the healing process which leads to the vein being successfully absorbed by your body. This may start 2-3 days after your treatment, reach a peak around a 7-10 days and then it will settle.
If you experience lumpiness, tenderness or sensitivity, try rubbing an anti-inflammatory cream or gel such as Voltarol or Ibuprofen into the area (but please check with a pharmacist if you are unsure whether these are suitable for you). Some people also find Arnica cream soothing. You may find that wearing the compression stocking during the day also helps.
Advantages of Modern Varicose Vein Treatment over Surgical Stripping
In addition to getting an improvement in the appearance of the leg, modern non-surgical varicose vein treatments have the following key features:
- Non-surgical treatments avoid general anaesthesia. Although modern general anesthetics are very safe, procedures carried out under local anesthetics are even safer.
- The cosmetic outcome is much better with a non-surgical approach. There are virtually no scars and patients treated with non-surgical methods are much happier with the cosmetic outcome.
- The recovery after non-surgical treatment is much quicker. It’s a walk in walk out procedure and people can get back to normal activities very quickly. People can drive and get back to work within a day or two. Please note however that if your job involves heavy lifting, standing for long periods in a hot environment or if there is a possibility your legs may get knocked at work (i.e. you have a very physical job), you may need a little longer off work, perhaps a week or two.
- Because there are no surgical incisions or cuts, the risks of infection are almost eliminated completely. Indeed, because the procedure is under local anaesthetic on a walk in walk out basis and guided by ultrasound at every step, nearly every single complication is much lower (including DVT and nerve injury).
- The risk of vein recurrence is much lower with these modern non-surgical treatments. Endovenous Laser Ablation sterilisers the vein as it closes it. Unlike surgical stripping, there are no raw, living ends of aim that can regrow and rejoin. After surgical stripping, this process of regrowth (which is called neovascularization) is one of the commonest reasons for veins coming back. Neovascularization simply doesn’t occur after Endovenous Laser Ablation.